Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Picking the Perfect Christmas Tree: Part Two

In my 50 plus years as a Christmas Addict, I’ve had every kind of a perfect Christmas tree imaginable, as my idea of perfection is directly related to my anticipation, inspiration and desperation. 
I’ve had large trees, short trees and table top trees.  I’ve had fat trees and skinny trees, trees that were too sparse and trees that were so full that the ornaments could not hang down.  I’ve had blue trees, green trees, silver trees and -- unfortunately --a few youbrown trees.  There have been long needled trees, short needled trees, soft needled trees and needles so sharp they drew blood on the very hands that decorated them. 

Over the years, my perfect Christmas trees have had straight trunks and trees with trunks so crooked that they had to be hung from the ceiling by fishing line and an eye bolt.  I’ve had trees that smelled lovely all season and trees that stunk so bad I had to open a window.  There have been live trees, artificial trees and half dead trees.  Some of my perfect Christmas trees held their needles until Super Bowl Sunday and some lost their needles by December 1st.  I’ve bought trees from florists, designated tree lots, the Boy Scouts, the North Fort Myers Marching Band, the feed store, Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, a country store/liquor store/tavern, a “U Cut” Christmas tree farm, and trees from my own acreage.

With all this experience, there is just one thing I know for sure – there are NO ugly Christmas trees, and that includes that Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  Who knew back in 1965 when I first saw A Charlie Brown Christmas that one day, you could actually buy it. 

Go figure.                           

But I digress.  In your quest for picking the perfect Christmas tree, I urge you to be a little pickier than me.  Regardless of your taste and definitions of perfection, here are some tips to help you choose the perfect Christmas tree before you even leave your home.

Determine your tree needs:
  •   Do you have limited space?
  •   Do you have a particular spot that the tree absolutely has to go?
  •   How tall a tree do you need?  Measure the area where the tree is going from floor to ceiling.  Don’t forget to subtract inches or feet to accommodate the tree topper and the Christmas tree stand, plus another 2-6 inches you'll need to trim off the bottom of the trunk in order to water it.  If the average price is $20 a foot, do you really want to cut off and throw away $40 worth of tree?
  •  How wide a tree do you need?  Do you really want to watch TV through the branches of your Christmas tree?
  • Is there anyone in your family or who will be visiting your home during the holidays that have allergy issues?
  •  What’s your budget? Your perfect Christmas tree will not only fit in your home, but in your budget as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment